What are the Synedent FLX ingredients and what do they do?
Active Ingredient: Sodium Fluoride 0.05% (0.02% w/v fluoride ion): Fluoride binds to calcium ions in the hydroxyapatite of surface tooth enamel, preventing corrosion of tooth enamel by acids and preventing cavities.
Water: This is a purified water that meets or exceeds all the regulatory standards that are required to manufacture an advanced oral care product in the United States.
Chitosan Argininamide (Chitosan Arginine): A natural polysaccharide fiber, that comes from shrimp shells, with Arginine, a natural amino acid. Chitosan is a polymer of glucosamine and is similar, in structure, to cellulose another natural polysaccharide that is often referred to as “dietary fiber”. Chitosan is used as an agent to flocculate or aggregate particles out of a solution. Chitosan Argininamide in concert with other Synedent ingredients acts to clean and freshen your teeth and mouth.
Sorbitol: Is a sugar derivative (more accurately a polyol) found in apples and peaches. Sorbitol is a sugar that bacteria can’t easily digest which helps reduce bacterial overgrowth helping keep your mouth feel clean and fresh for longer. This ingredient also contributes to the sweet taste of Synedent.
Xylitol: Is another sugar derivative (also a polyol) that is found in many different fruits and even some vegetables. Similar to sorbitol, bacteria can’t easily digest xylitol, which helps reduce bacterial growth keeping your mouth clean and fresh for longer. Xylitol is also a natural sweetener. Xylitol is dangerous for dogs to consume; do not give any product containing xylitol to your canine friends. See veterinary concerns.
Glycerin: Is a naturally occurring part of many lipids (also a polyol) in the plant and animal kingdom. Glycerin adds to the sweet taste of Synedent, but also gives it a pleasing feel in the mouth and helps to keep your mouth feeling moist.
Peppermint oil: Is an extract from the peppermint plant. In Synedent, it acts as a breath freshening and flavoring agent to give Synedent its characteristic minty taste and smell.
Benzoic Acid: Is a natural acid that is found in many fruits, vegetables, and spices. Benzoic acid acts as a preservative to prevent growth of bacteria and fungi.
Polysorbate 20: Is derived from sorbitol and acts as an emulsifier to make sure peppermint oil is thoroughly mixed into Synedent.
Synedent FLX fluoride is a scientifically formulated mouthwash designed to freshen breath, clean teeth and gums, and to help prevent cavities, without the burning sensation common to other mouthwashes.
How to use FLX:
Check the label on the bottle for exact dosing instructions. For best results:
- Use Synedent FLX oral fluoride rinse up to twice a day after brushing your teeth. Measure 5-10ml (1 to 2 teaspoons) of Synedent FLX oral fluoride rinse and swish between your teeth for 1 minute, then expel, unless directed otherwise by your doctor. Do not eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes after using Synedent FLX.
- Do not take 2 doses at once.
- This rinse is not intended to replace brushing and flossing.
- Cold weather and freezing may cause Synedent FLX oral fluoride rinse to become cloudy. To return the product to its normal appearance, return product to room temperature (60-75 F) and shake vigorously once thawed and or warm.
Important safety information:
- Do not swallow.
- This product contains shellfish derivatives. Most shellfish allergies are caused by a muscle protein tropomyosin. The highly purified chitosan argininamide and chitosan derivatives in our products are from the shrimp shell and not muscle tissue. Those who suffer from a shellfish allergy should consult a qualified medical professional about the use of the product and potential allergen testing.
- Not for use by pets.
Do not use in patients with dysphagia. Do not use in pediatric patients under age 6 years unless recommended by a dentist or physician.